About the Position
This position will manage the operation of the Transitions Initiative’s program activities, as well as project manage select related projects. The position works closely with MSC’s senior program leadership in our signature movement-building initiative.
This position can be structured at .5 FTE or as a full-time position; please indicate which you are interested in with your application.
Event Planning, Production, and Administration
- Produce Transitions Initiative events: identify and book off-site program event space, arrange food and beverage, order supplies and audiovisual equipment, make travel arrangements, order event signs, etc.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters; prepare and modify event contracts for leadership team execution.
- Lead the management of on-site event production and clean-up for events with support from the program team.
- Prepare and manage event budgets; keep track of event financial documentation including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Serve as a liaison with leaders within MSC’s Transitions Community, and the network of leaders connected with Transitions Community members. This includes communicating key content, responding to inquiries and requests, as well as maintaining contact information for people involved in Transitions Initiative activities.
- Provide administrative and project management support to the Transitions Initiative; includes managing meeting schedules, travel logistics and expense reporting; manage file structure and archives for Transitions Initiative files, tracking and entering event participant information in MSC’s CiviCRM database, assisting with database entry and reporting for the Transitions Initiative team.
- Attend and support meetings with the core program team members on an as-needed basis.
- Create and execute project work plans and timelines; revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Oversee special projects and autonomous assignments as requested.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of program or project management experience
- Experience with event coordination and management
- High degree of organization and attention to detail and ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to draft high quality written materials and correspondence
- The ability to think forward about what needs to be taken care of, with attention to practical details as well as relationships
- A demonstrated commitment to delivering excellent results and forging productive relationships with colleagues
- An orientation towards learning and development
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Google Applications
- Previous experience with social justice movements is a plus!
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and list of references to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. Priority given to applications received by January 31, 2017. Movement Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MSC is seeking a full-time (100% FTE) Finance Manager
About Movement Strategy Center
Movement Strategy Center is building the movement for social and racial justice by increasing the capacity of individuals, organizations, alliances and sectors to be more collaborative, strategic and sustainable. We support community-based organizations and their foundation partners to develop the skills, culture, analysis and vision to work together in broad alliances. We prioritize the leadership of people of color working in low-income communities and communities of color. MSC provides a range of services, including strategy development and visioning, organizational development and capacity building, national network and alliance building, sustainability training and coaching, field building and community-based research.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Finance Manager is responsible for various accounting functions, including: accurate and timely completion of monthly financial statements; account reconciliations; cash receipts, preparation of invoices to funders, grant reconciliation, and special projects. This position is responsible for ensuring that financial transactions are recorded timely, accurately, and in accordance with US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices), and federal and local regulations.
- Supervise AP Specialist in the performance of their duties
- Review and approve check runs
- Review and post weekly deposits
- Prepare and submit invoices for reimbursement contracts and accounts receivable
- Maintain general ledger, including account analysis, subsidiary schedule preparation, and monthly and year-end journal entries
- Generate timely monthly financial statements, including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Budget to Actual reports
- Monitor fiscally sponsored projects’ fund as well as cash balances and keep the MSC Leadership Team informed of status and issues.
- Generate agency financial reports as needed for grant proposals and reports
- Manage and report cash flow
- Assist in preparation of annual budget
- Supervise preparation of year-end 1099’s
- Perform ad hoc analysis and reporting
- Participate in or lead special projects as opportunities arise
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business related field or equivalent work experience
- 5 + years of progressive full cycle accounting experience, including 3 years in a nonprofit environment
- 2+ years in a management position supervising 2 or more staff
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects with specific timelines
- Versatility, flexibility, and an ability to shift and manage priorities under increasingly complex regulatory requirements
- Strong computer aptitude, including expertise in Microsoft Excel and Accufund accounting software
- Strong analytical skills with particular attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with federal and state grant awards preferred
Successful candidates will also:
Have strong accounting skills and experience evaluating policies and procedures
Be experienced with fund accounting
Possess strong supervision skills for all skill and experience levels
Employ effective strategy and agility to set team priorities and complete monthly deliverables
Support clear and direct communication within and across teams
Support teams members to embrace change as we continue to improve systems
Model and support self-care within the workplace
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Movement Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.